Tuesday, May 19, 2009

New navigation bar in Smugmug

I have changed the navigation bar on my SmugMug site. I wanted it to be horizontal and I was not happy about the solution found on Smugmug or Dgrin. I enden up using the idea found on Free CSS Drop-Down Menu Framework. I can highly recommend this solution for a horizontal drop-down menu in Smugmug.

The final horizontal navigation bar can be seen on my web site: Horizontal navigation bar in Smugmug.
Especially take a look at the Galleries nav link - multible level navigation bar - not bad at all.

So - why haven't I implemented this solution on my smugmug site - well - actually - Smugmug is not SEO-friendly (see The sad story about Smugmug and SEO.
So, If you chose to implement a site-wide navigation bar on your Smugmug site, your Search engine Optimization (SEO) will suffer.

My navigation bar is horizontal, but is shown here as vertical.
See the Horizontal CSS-based drop-down navigation bar on my Smugmug site.
(2010-10-19 Smugmug page no longer available)



I have also moved all links to a Link-page.

Update 2009-08-25
Smugmug has changed the URL structure, so I have updated the menu shown here.

Update 2010-05-19
Added a link to gallery with a multible level horizontal navigation bar.
Added a warning against using a site level navigation bar.

Update 2010-10-19Navigation bar removed from my Smugmug site and link removed.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Changed 2009-06-23 to include the link to Free CSS Drop-Down Menu Framework

Unknown said...

Hi Lichten, the menus look great, but I am trying to get them to work and it isn't working. Can you post a short write up what code you used for the CSS box and also the Header box in customization? Thanks!

Unknown said...

Hi kenyu,

Thanks a lot for your kind words. I downloaded the samples and tested the stuff in the free Microsoft Visual Web Developer (http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/)
I had to add a DIV around the menu to center it on the page.
All the CSS code goes in CSS box and the rest in the Header box.
I hope this helps. If not - What is not working?
(Sorry but I don't know how to post code here in Blogger)

Post a Comment