Thursday, August 20, 2009

Good news - Smugmug SEO improvements releasing soon

Search engine optimization (SEO) improvements soon to be implemented in Smugmug.

In Smugmug’s feature request forum some of the feature requests regarding SEO have changed status to “Started” and a few posts by Smugmug representatives on the Dgrin support forum have mentioned that some of the improvements are ready to be released and other improvements will be released not long after.

So, what changes can we expect? There is not lot information about this, but there are a few posts on Dgrin that may give an idea about what SEO changes we can expect:

Sitemaps (XML and maybe also HTML)
Unique page titles.
Meta data
Plain-English URL paths for galleries (I do hope for photo-pages as well)

Well, that is all I could find on Dgrin (There might be others).

Hopefully this will fix the many HTML suggestions mentioned in my Google Webmaster Tools.

I do hope for many more improvements – The list of official SEO-tips that Smugmug does not follow is long - very long (Compare it yourself. Read the document "Google's Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide" found on Google's SEO Starter Guide page).

Also, I do hope that Smugmug from now on takes Search engine optimization (SEO) very serious and do stay on top of present and future SEO guidelines from major search engine companies like Google, Yahoo and Bing.

I especially expect a lot of changes to image search optimization guidelines and I hope that Smugmug will stay on top of these too.


Until now only about 1% of my photos on Smugmug can be found on Google Image Search.

At least 50% of my photos published on Panoramio and Flickr can be found on Google Image Search.

I hope for equal performance here.

Stay tuned - I will post updates on this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment